Sunday 6 May 2007

Module 4 Tasks - Boolean Searching

Boolean Searching
  • the biggest number of hits relating to these key words
To get a result with the biggest number of hits, I would use a search engines such as google, or MSN and type in the phrase advance internet users, without any quotes or qualifiers. This way any of those three words could appear anywhere on a resource and it would show up in your results. I searched for advanced internet users skills based and got 2.9 million results.

I don't think this was too useful as far as quality of results, so I put quotes around the search "advanced internet users" +skills based and got 2650 results, a lot ore useful!
  • sources relating to skills-based information on these key words.
I used an online meta-search tool (ixquick) for this search, and the search was executed as follows +advanced +internet +users +skills based. I ended up with 43 unique top-ten pages selected from at least 4,969,422 matching results. A quick perusal of the results, seemed to have picked up a good selection of resources relevant to the search phrase I entered.
I also tried Internet +skills +advanced +users. I picked up some of the same results but there where some different pages returned with the results including
46 unique top-ten pages selected from at least 5,609,444 matching results.
  • information coming only from university sources
For this search I used the same search term as above, ixquick also allows you to narrow down the results by domain so I selected .edu domains only. This resulted in 29 unique top-ten pages selected from at least 73,464 matching results.

To get results that where more academic focused, I also did a search on Google Scholar for the same search term, and narrowed it down to articles that where
Engineering, Computer Science, and Mathematics based only. I ended up with 24,000 results for this search.


No comments: